Over 3,000 fishermen launch indefinite fast
Nagapattinam: Over 3,000 fishermen of various hamlets launched an indefinite fast in front of the Head Post Office here on Saturday in protest against the arrest of 107 fishermen by Sri Lankan Navy on December 11.
A total of 350 fishermen of Akkaraipettai and neighbouring hamlets in the district put out to sea on six boats on Dec 9 and were arrested off Kodiakarai on December 11 by the naval personnel.
A total of 243 fishermen were released some hours later. The others along with their 16 boats were taken to Trincomalee in Sri Lanka, fishermen`s association sources said.
Yesterday DMK had organised a one-day strike here, demanding the release of the 107 fishermen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report