Over 3,000 fishermen launch indefinite fast
Nagapattinam: Over 3,000 fishermen of various hamlets launched an indefinite fast in front of the Head Post Office here on Saturday in protest against the arrest of 107 fishermen by Sri Lankan Navy on December 11.
A total of 350 fishermen of Akkaraipettai and neighbouring hamlets in the district put out to sea on six boats on Dec 9 and were arrested off Kodiakarai on December 11 by the naval personnel.
A total of 243 fishermen were released some hours later. The others along with their 16 boats were taken to Trincomalee in Sri Lanka, fishermen`s association sources said.
Yesterday DMK had organised a one-day strike here, demanding the release of the 107 fishermen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Two ISIS operatives, planning to target religious places, arrested by Gujarat ATS