Over 3,000 fishermen launch indefinite fast
Nagapattinam: Over 3,000 fishermen of various hamlets launched an indefinite fast in front of the Head Post Office here on Saturday in protest against the arrest of 107 fishermen by Sri Lankan Navy on December 11.
A total of 350 fishermen of Akkaraipettai and neighbouring hamlets in the district put out to sea on six boats on Dec 9 and were arrested off Kodiakarai on December 11 by the naval personnel.
A total of 243 fishermen were released some hours later. The others along with their 16 boats were taken to Trincomalee in Sri Lanka, fishermen`s association sources said.
Yesterday DMK had organised a one-day strike here, demanding the release of the 107 fishermen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Give up terrorism and let’s talk', Sushma Swaraj's reply to Nawaz Sharif at UNGA
- Lalu Yadav attacks PM Modi over Mahatma Gandhi's assassination
- Whole world is worried about global warming and climate change, says PM Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi