P Dhanapal elected TN Assembly Speaker
Chennai: Ruling AIADMK`s nominee P Dhanapal was on Wednesday unanimously elected as Speaker of the Tamil Nadu Assembly, the first Dalit to be elected to the post in 50 years.
Pro-Tem Speaker C K Tamizharasan announced that Dhanapal was unanimously elected as he was the only candidate to have filed nomination for the election caused by the surprise resignation of D Jayakumar as Speaker recently.
Dhanapal was led to the chair by Leader of the House and Finance Minister O Panneerselvam and Deputy Leader of DMDK Legislature Party Panruti S Ramachandran, who did the honours in the absence of Leader of the Opposition and his party founder leader Vijaykant.
Felicitating Dhanapal, who had resigned as Deputy Speaker to file his nomination, both opposition DMDK and DMK assured their support to him and urged for equal opportunities for the opposition to speak in the Assembly.
DMK chief M Karunanidhi was among the notable absentees while members of AIADMK, which has a massive majority of 151 MLAs in the 234-member House, was present in full strength led by Chief Minister Jayalalithaa.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- PSL 2016 T20, Match 7: Quetta Gladiators vs Peshawar Zalmi – Key players
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears