Paintings on small buses: HC to deliver orders on Tuesday
Chennai: The Madras High Court will deliver its judgement on March 25 on a petition filed by AIADMK leader and Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa challenging ECI`s order to cover the painting of two leaves on the small buses as it resembled the ruling party`s symbol.
The First Bench comprising Acting Chief Justice Sathish K Agnihotri and Justice M M Sundresh said the court would pronounce judgement on Tuesday.
Jayalalithaa had challenged Election Commission`s order contending that the reason cited by EC that the step was taken to prevent mobile propagation of AIADMK symbol was unreasonable and unlawful. If such a decision is taken and if extended to logical limits, then use of various political party symbols like hand, cycle and lantern should be prohibited from use.
DMK leader M K Stalin had also filed submission in the Court seeking direction against the usage of "Amma" for government schemes and the painting on small buses.
The ECI had earlier submitted that it gave orders to cover the paintings as they resembled the AIADMK symbol and to to prevent the mobile advertising of the party.
When the AIADMK itself had said in its petition that there was no resemblance to the pictures on the buses with the party symbol, how can it object the order. The petition is liable to be dismissed, the counsel said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi