Paintings on small buses: HC to deliver orders on Tuesday
Chennai: The Madras High Court will deliver its judgement on March 25 on a petition filed by AIADMK leader and Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa challenging ECI`s order to cover the painting of two leaves on the small buses as it resembled the ruling party`s symbol.
The First Bench comprising Acting Chief Justice Sathish K Agnihotri and Justice M M Sundresh said the court would pronounce judgement on Tuesday.
Jayalalithaa had challenged Election Commission`s order contending that the reason cited by EC that the step was taken to prevent mobile propagation of AIADMK symbol was unreasonable and unlawful. If such a decision is taken and if extended to logical limits, then use of various political party symbols like hand, cycle and lantern should be prohibited from use.
DMK leader M K Stalin had also filed submission in the Court seeking direction against the usage of "Amma" for government schemes and the painting on small buses.
The ECI had earlier submitted that it gave orders to cover the paintings as they resembled the AIADMK symbol and to to prevent the mobile advertising of the party.
When the AIADMK itself had said in its petition that there was no resemblance to the pictures on the buses with the party symbol, how can it object the order. The petition is liable to be dismissed, the counsel said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India