Panchayat prez held for hurling slipper at Nityana
Kumbakonam (TN): A Panchayat president was among four persons arrested on Wednesday for reportedly throwing slippers at the car in which self styled godman Nityananda and the Madurai Adheenam were travelling.
Police said the incident occurred when the two of them along with some disciples were passing through a street in this town, on their way back to Madurai after offering worship at Agneeswaraswamy temple at nearby Kanjanur.
They said the Adheenam, Arunagirinatha Gnanasambanda Desika Paramacharya, stepped out of the car and demanded to know who had done it, whereupon some of them tried to attack his disciples. Police thwarted their attempts.
The adheenam said he and Nityananda would proceed on their journey only after those behind the incident were arrested. On a complaint by a disciple,Kottur Panchayat president Annadurai and three others were arrested for allegedly throwing slippers at the car, police said.
The appointment of Nityananda as his junior by the Paramacharya has triggered protests from several quarters, including heads of different mutts in the state, in view of pending criminal charges, including of rape, against him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800