Panchayat prez held for hurling slipper at Nityana
Kumbakonam (TN): A Panchayat president was among four persons arrested on Wednesday for reportedly throwing slippers at the car in which self styled godman Nityananda and the Madurai Adheenam were travelling.
Police said the incident occurred when the two of them along with some disciples were passing through a street in this town, on their way back to Madurai after offering worship at Agneeswaraswamy temple at nearby Kanjanur.
They said the Adheenam, Arunagirinatha Gnanasambanda Desika Paramacharya, stepped out of the car and demanded to know who had done it, whereupon some of them tried to attack his disciples. Police thwarted their attempts.
The adheenam said he and Nityananda would proceed on their journey only after those behind the incident were arrested. On a complaint by a disciple,Kottur Panchayat president Annadurai and three others were arrested for allegedly throwing slippers at the car, police said.
The appointment of Nityananda as his junior by the Paramacharya has triggered protests from several quarters, including heads of different mutts in the state, in view of pending criminal charges, including of rape, against him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of problems of unemployement in India
- DNA: Analysis of how car makers are playing with people's life
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda- Part II
- DNA: A plane landed at -100 degree celsius to rescue a worker
- Kiran Bedi seeks banks' help for 'prosperous' Puducherry
- Now, helmet compulsory for pillion riders in Uttar Pradesh
- Brave jawans gun down six militants in encounters in Kashmir's Kupwara - Know gunbattle details
- Brexit poll results: Britain, EU relation on knife-edge as historic referendum closes
- One killed in PKK car bomb in Turkey's southeast