Panchayat prez held for hurling slipper at Nityana
Kumbakonam (TN): A Panchayat president was among four persons arrested on Wednesday for reportedly throwing slippers at the car in which self styled godman Nityananda and the Madurai Adheenam were travelling.
Police said the incident occurred when the two of them along with some disciples were passing through a street in this town, on their way back to Madurai after offering worship at Agneeswaraswamy temple at nearby Kanjanur.
They said the Adheenam, Arunagirinatha Gnanasambanda Desika Paramacharya, stepped out of the car and demanded to know who had done it, whereupon some of them tried to attack his disciples. Police thwarted their attempts.
The adheenam said he and Nityananda would proceed on their journey only after those behind the incident were arrested. On a complaint by a disciple,Kottur Panchayat president Annadurai and three others were arrested for allegedly throwing slippers at the car, police said.
The appointment of Nityananda as his junior by the Paramacharya has triggered protests from several quarters, including heads of different mutts in the state, in view of pending criminal charges, including of rape, against him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- JNU row: Congress VP meets protesting students; ABVP raises black flags, shout "Rahul Gandhi Go Back"
- JNU protest: Kejriwal hits out at PM Modi, says targetting innocents will prove costly to him