Panel visits Koodankulam nuclear plant
Tirunelveli (TN): Tamil Nadu government-
appointed four-member committee on Saturday visited the Koodankulam
nuclear power plant and held talks with the plant and district
authorities to break the impasse caused by the protests by
locals against the Indo-Russian project.
The committee, which includes former Atomic Energy
Commission Chief MR Srinivasan, would meet tomorrow the
representatives of the People`s Movement Against Nuclear
Energy (PMANE), spearheading the over five-month long protest
demanding scrapping of the project on safety concerns.
After talks with District Collector R Selvaraj and other
top officials here, the team members visited the plant site
for an interaction with the plant officials.
Speaking to reporters here, Convenor of the committee S
Iniyan said they would meet the protesters tomorrow afternoon
but made it clear they were not on a public hearing mission.
"We will act speedily and submit our report at the
earliest," he said when asked whether any time-frame had been
set for the panel to complete its task.
The committee had been set up by Chief Minister
Jayalalithaa in a fresh initiative to break the logjam over
commissioning of the first of the two reactors at KNPP.
Earlier, a 15-member expert group, set up by the Centre
to allay the fears of locals, failed to convince the
protesters even after four rounds of talks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in