Panic gripped Chennaites gather at Marina
Chennai: Even as panic gripped Chennaites
following the massive earthquake in Indonesia on Wednesday, it was a
tough time for police to dissuade people hoping to see tsunami from gathering at the famous Marina beach.
Marina beach was hit by a 2004 killer tsunami.
"We want to see a live tsunami," said an elderly woman who
was among a large number of people assembled at the beach,
noting the earlier warning that the tsunami was to hit Chennai
around 1700 hours.
"There is no specific threat. It was a watch and alert.
There is no likelihood of any tsunami in the Indian Ocean
region," National Disaster Management Authority Vice President
Sashidhar Reddy said.
On a sleepy Sunday morning in 2004, giant tidal waves had
consumed many morning walkers and youngsters playing on the
sands with the salt foamed water changing the very looks of
the otherwise serene Marina into that of a battle field.
Strong fibre boats and cars had been tossed up with the
fury of the waves landng them on the busy Kamarajar Salai
Though policemen on vans were announcing on the public
address system dissuading the people from going to the sea,
many people gathered to see the tsunami, driven by their
Many of the government offices, educational institutions
and private companies were closed as the city experienced a
second aftershock at around 4.45 pm.
Traffic on the roads was chocked as the flow of vehicles
witnessed an immediate spurt after the news of tremors spread.
Several of the cell phone services were disrupted
following the tremor.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly