Paramakudi firing: Victims’ kin to get govt job
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister
Jayalalithaa on Tuesday announced jobs on compassionate grounds to
one member each of the families of the six persons killed in
the police firing in Paramakudi on September 11.
She also announced an additional compensation of Rs 4 lakh
to the next of kin of those killed. The government had earlier
given Rs 1 lakh to them.
Likewise, those injured in the incident will also get an
additional relief of Rs 15,000 apart from the Rs 15,000 they
received earlier, an official release said.
The order came after the Chief Minister accepted the report
of the one-member committee headed by retired Justice K
Sampath to probe into the incident.
On September 11, police resorted to firing in self defence
when violence broke out after news spread that Dalit leader
John Pandian had been detained at Tuticorin en route to
Paramakudi in Ramanathapuram district to pay homage on the
death anniversary of Dalit leader Imanuel Sekar.
In order to maintain law and order, Pandian had been
barred from entering Ramanathapuram.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation