Party cadres should work to secure all 40 Lok Sabha seats: Jaya
Chennai: Reflecting yet again her ambition for a larger role in national politics, AIADMK supremo and Chief Minister Jayalalithaa on Wednesday asked party cadres to work for securing all 40 Lok Sabha seats in the 2014 elections.
"Instead of celebrating my birthday in a grand manner, work for the welfare of the people, secure a place in their hearts and convert them into votes," Jayalalithaa, who will turn 65 on February 24, said in a message to party cadre.
She said securing all 40 Lok Sabha seats (39 in Tamil Nadu and one in Puducherry) would only give her happiness and told the party workers to "start working towards that goal from today itself".
AIADMK has said that it will go alone in the general elections in a clear signal that it is keeping its options open on political alignment and government formation.
Jayalalithaa said she had been working towards making Tamil Nadu the number one state, securing the state`s rights, protecting the welfare of Sri Lankan Tamils and taking steps to prevent attacks on Tamil Nadu fishermen, allegedly by Lankan naval personnel.
She also asked her partymen to help people and avoid celebrating her birthday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days