Peacock attacks train`s asst driver in Madurai
Madurai: In an unusual incident, the Assistant driver of the Madurai-Shencottah passenger train was injured when a peacock entered the engine`s cabin and attacked him, officials said today.
The train was delayed for more than an hour following the incident last evening, they said.
"This is the first time a peacock has held up a train. We have experienced wild animals crossing the track and holding up the train. Probably, the peacock got irritated and panicked by the noise of the engine," an official of the Railway Protection Force (RPF) said.
The official said the train was moving at a speed of 80 kmph near Thiruthangal in Virudhunagar district when the peacock flew low across the track. The driver could not stop the train and the bird entered the cabin.
The bird started fluttering its wings and clawed at assistant engine driver Alaguraja. It also pecked and broke the windscreen of the cabin, the official said.
The main driver, however, was not hurt and the train proceeded to Sivakasi. The bird died by that time and was handed over to officials, sources said.
The injured driver was admitted to a hospital at Rajapalayam. The train later proceeded to Shencottah.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!