Peacock attacks train`s asst driver in Madurai
Madurai: In an unusual incident, the Assistant driver of the Madurai-Shencottah passenger train was injured when a peacock entered the engine`s cabin and attacked him, officials said today.
The train was delayed for more than an hour following the incident last evening, they said.
"This is the first time a peacock has held up a train. We have experienced wild animals crossing the track and holding up the train. Probably, the peacock got irritated and panicked by the noise of the engine," an official of the Railway Protection Force (RPF) said.
The official said the train was moving at a speed of 80 kmph near Thiruthangal in Virudhunagar district when the peacock flew low across the track. The driver could not stop the train and the bird entered the cabin.
The bird started fluttering its wings and clawed at assistant engine driver Alaguraja. It also pecked and broke the windscreen of the cabin, the official said.
The main driver, however, was not hurt and the train proceeded to Sivakasi. The bird died by that time and was handed over to officials, sources said.
The injured driver was admitted to a hospital at Rajapalayam. The train later proceeded to Shencottah.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!