Peacock attacks train`s asst driver in Tamil Nadu
Madurai: In an unusual incident, the Assistant driver of the Madurai-Shencottah passenger train was injured when a peacock entered the engine`s cabin and attacked him, officials said on Thursday.
The train was delayed for more than an hour following the incident last evening, they said.
"This is the first time a peacock has held up a train. We have experienced wild animals crossing the track and holding up the train. Probably, the peacock got irritated and panicked by the noise of the engine," an official of the Railway Protection Force (RPF) said.
The official said the train was moving at a speed of 80 kmph near Thiruthangal in Virudhunagar district when the peacock flew low across the track. The driver could not stop the train and the bird entered the cabin.
The bird started fluttering its wings and clawed at assistant engine driver Alaguraja. It also pecked and broke the windscreen of the cabin, the official said.
The main driver, however, was not hurt and the train proceeded to Sivakasi. The bird died by that time and was handed over to officials, sources said.
The injured driver was admitted to a hospital at Rajapalayam. The train later proceeded to Shencottah.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- Divyansh Kakrora's death: Probe nails Ryan International School for glaring lapses; father alleges child was sodomised before murder
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step