People are poor as they spend on liquor: PMK`s Ramadoss
Chennai: Pattali Makkal Katchi (PMK) founder S. Ramadoss Sunday said more than 50 percent of the population is living below the poverty line (BPL) waiting for doles from the government, thanks to roaring liquor sales in the state.
Speaking to reporters here, he said: "Tamil Nadu`s population is around 6.24 crore. The state Chief Minister has said around 3.28 crore people, who don`t have proper clothing, are being given free saree/dhoti so that they can celebrate Pongal festival."
"If these people are not able to afford proper clothing then it means they are paupers," he said.
Citing that the turnover of liquor retail company, The Tamil Nadu State Marketing Corporation Ltd (Tasmac), was Rs.12,831 crore last fiscal, he said: "It is the poor man`s money that is being swindled by Tasmac. The poor spend on liquor leaving nothing for other expenses, including clothing."
"The government should not create vote banks by making people poor and offering doles and freebies. The poor should be made to stand on their own by shutting down the liquor shops and imposing prohibition," he said.
He said that even backward states like Bihar have started registering faster growth in state gross domestic produce as compared to Tamil Nadu.
Welcoming the government`s plan to convert 2.1 million mud houses with thatched roofs into concrete houses, he cautioned it should not become another slum clearance board.
"The slum clearance board was started in 1967 by the DMK government with a mission to provide apartments for the slum dwellers in the city. Chennai is still a city of slums."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'