People are poor as they spend on liquor: PMK`s Ramadoss
Chennai: Pattali Makkal Katchi (PMK) founder S. Ramadoss Sunday said more than 50 percent of the population is living below the poverty line (BPL) waiting for doles from the government, thanks to roaring liquor sales in the state.
Speaking to reporters here, he said: "Tamil Nadu`s population is around 6.24 crore. The state Chief Minister has said around 3.28 crore people, who don`t have proper clothing, are being given free saree/dhoti so that they can celebrate Pongal festival."
"If these people are not able to afford proper clothing then it means they are paupers," he said.
Citing that the turnover of liquor retail company, The Tamil Nadu State Marketing Corporation Ltd (Tasmac), was Rs.12,831 crore last fiscal, he said: "It is the poor man`s money that is being swindled by Tasmac. The poor spend on liquor leaving nothing for other expenses, including clothing."
"The government should not create vote banks by making people poor and offering doles and freebies. The poor should be made to stand on their own by shutting down the liquor shops and imposing prohibition," he said.
He said that even backward states like Bihar have started registering faster growth in state gross domestic produce as compared to Tamil Nadu.
Welcoming the government`s plan to convert 2.1 million mud houses with thatched roofs into concrete houses, he cautioned it should not become another slum clearance board.
"The slum clearance board was started in 1967 by the DMK government with a mission to provide apartments for the slum dwellers in the city. Chennai is still a city of slums."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues