People from North-East continue fleeing Chennai
Chennai: Gripped by rumour fuelled fears of impending attacks on them, people from North-East continued to flee the city for the third consecutive day on Saturday with hundreds thronging the railway station and heading back home.
The Central Railway station here has been seeing a flow of anxious northeasterners desperate to get tickets for their onward journey in spite of assurances of safety and no untoward incident targetting them being reported.
Police said though Tamil Nadu has never seen incidents of violence against people from the North-East, reports of incidents and rumours in other states seem to be disturbing their parents back home, who want them to come back.
Chennai City Police has set up a round-the-clock control room and helplines exclusively for northeasterners.
However, not many students are leaving the city. "The city`s colleges have many students from the North-East on the rolls, most of whom are living in the hostels or in groups. So not many of them feel the need to leave," a student from the North-East who did not wish to be named, said.
In a bid to reach out to the fleeing northeasterners, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa has assured them that the state was peaceful and that her government would take steps to ensure their safety.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan