Petition against Azhagiri: CPI-M`s 2nd nominee moves HC
Chennai: CPI-M`s `alternative` candidate in
the Lok Sabha elections for Madurai seat has moved the Madras
High Court seeking to replace himself as the petitioner in the
petition challenging the election of Union Minister M K
A Lazar, CMP-M`s alternative candidate, withdrew his
nomination after the candidature of his party`s first nominee,
P Mohan was cleared during scrunity. He moved the court after
Mohan, who was the petitioner in case against Azhagiri, died.
Mohan, who died on October 30, 2009, had challenged the
election of Azhagiri alleging that he had bribed the voters.
In his plea, A Lazar, submitted that he was entitled to
substitute himself in the place of deceased, the only person
to have challenged the election of Azhagiri, and continue the
proceedings as per Section 112(3) of the Representation of the
People Act 1951.
Lazar pointed out that he had filed his nomination papers
for the constituency as the CPI-M`s second candidate and had
withdrawn his nomination within the stipulated date after late
Mohan`s nomination was accepted.
Stating that the demise of Mohan had been published in an
English and Tamil newspapers on December 12 on the direction
of the High Court, he said he was filing the present petition
to substitute himself in place of Mohan as stipulated.
Justice V Dhanapalan posted the petition for hearing
on February 8.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez