Petrol price hike unjust, says Jayalalithaa
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on Sunday termed as "unjust" the frequent hike in petrol prices and accused the Oil Marketing Companies (OMCs) of being profit-oriented.
"Increasing petrol prices twice a month is unjust. Centre should think how people can tolerate petrol price hike 24 times a year," she said in a statement.
Today`s hike had come within days of OMCs increasing petrol rates by Rs 1.82, she said, adding, they were functioning with a profit motive.
She said this would affect a large section, including people in rural areas and office-goers who were dependent on petrol-fuelled two-wheelers.
This hike would propel an increase in prices of essential commodities and vehicle tariff, thus affecting the national economy.
"A good government is one that is aware of the people`s livelihood and economy. But the Congress-led central government is working in contradiction to this. I strongly condemn this," she said.
She asked the Centre to withdraw the powers granted to OMCs to fix fuel prices and demanded for a rollback of today`s hike.
She charged the Centre with taking no steps to address the issue of falling value of Indian rupee against the US dollar.
Oil companies raised petrol rates by Rs 1.55 a litre, excluding local sales tax or VAT, with effect from midnight today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy