PIL against Lankan navy, fishermen filed in HC
Madurai: A PIL seeking final report in cases filed against Sri Lankan Navy and fishermen of the island nation for allegedly attacking Indian fishermen and damaging their vessels was on Thursday filed in Madras High Court.
The petitioner, S M Anantha Murugan, an advocate, said the Madurai Bench of the HC here had already ordered the Union Government`s Cabinet Secretary, National Security Adviser, Defence Secretary, Deputy Director General of Operations and Coastal Security of Indian Coast Guard and Secretary of External Affairs to take safety measures to see that Indian fishermen were not subjected to any "atrocities by Sri Lankan Navy" while they were exercising their fishing right.
The State Ocean Patrol Police, Marine Police and Q-Branch of state police had registered 253 FIRs against the Lankan navy and its fishermen for allegedly "murdering and injuring" Indian fishermen and damaging their vessels in Indian waters till November 2,2012. Subsequently, after a High court order on November 2 that year, 99 FIRs had been registered, he said.
The petitioner said the stage of the cases were not known. He also sought direction to deploy sufficient state police forces at the International Maritime Boundary line, and to appoint a retired Admiral of the Indian Navy to be assisted by prominent seafaring oceanic professionals to study the "horrific marine conditions" in Palk strait and Robert Bay.
The petitioner said 169 Indian fishermen were languishing in Sri Lankan Prisons. Besides 980 fishing vessels, holding licence, had been damaged by Sri Lankan ships, he alleged.
Former and present state Chief Ministers had written 34 letters in this regard to the Centre, he said and accused the Union Government of failing to provide Indian Naval protection to Tamil fishermen in the IMB line.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- WATCH: Rare CCTV video of Ajmal Kasab and other terrorists of 26/11 Mumbai attacks
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate