PIL filed in HC on Mullaperiyar issue
Madurai: A retired PWD chief engineer has
filed a PIL in the Madras High Court seeking to regulate
visitors to the Mullaiperiyar Dam and ensure safety of the
reservoir over which Tamil Nadu and Kerala are locked in a
A division bench of justices Chitra Venkataraman and R
Karuppiah here posted the PIL for hearing on February 23.
The former chief engineer A Kanagasabapathy alleged that
for the last few months a fear psychosis was created in Kerala
for political advantages. An opinion was sought to be created
among the public to the effect that the dam might give way and
result in loss of life and property.
Following this rumor, many persons with political
affiliations attempted to enter the dam with earth-removal
machines and iron tools to break the dam, he alleged.
Any such situation will not be in the interest of both
the states and could also lead to unforeseen developments and
whip up emotions on either sides, he added.
The dam row had intensified since November last with both
Tamil Nadu and Kerala sparring over the latter`s insistence on
building a new dam in place of the 116-year old Mullaperiyar
reservoir, causing tension in border areas of both states.
Kerala has been citing safety concerns for its demand to
decommission the dam, which feeds five southern districts in
Tamil Nadu, under whose control it comes on a 999 year lease.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- Islamic State bombings in southern Yemen kill 38
- UK pensions minister Crabb considering bid to succeed PM Cameron: Report
- Special panel on India's NSG membership bid? We're not aware, says China
- Ruby Rai, Bihar Class 12 topper now under arrest for cheating, says she never wanted to top the exam
- Euro 2016: Iceland stun England in one of greatest ever shocks