PIL seeks change in names of political outfits
Chennai: A Public Interest Litigation petition was on Monday filed before the Madras High Court praying for direction to AIADMK, DMK and 14 other political parties to rechristen them on the ground that the existing names were based on religion, race or caste.
Petitioner, R Kannan Govindarajulu, an ex-serviceman, submitted that the Constitution barred naming political outfits in the name of religion, race, caste etc.
He contended that he was moving the court as no action was taken on his petition sent to the Election Commission.
First Bench comprising Acting Chief Justice R K Agrawal and Justice M Sathyanarayanan, before which the petition came up, adjourned it by two weeks and directed the petitioner to implead the political parties as respondents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16