PIL seeks change in names of political outfits
Chennai: A Public Interest Litigation petition was on Monday filed before the Madras High Court praying for direction to AIADMK, DMK and 14 other political parties to rechristen them on the ground that the existing names were based on religion, race or caste.
Petitioner, R Kannan Govindarajulu, an ex-serviceman, submitted that the Constitution barred naming political outfits in the name of religion, race, caste etc.
He contended that he was moving the court as no action was taken on his petition sent to the Election Commission.
First Bench comprising Acting Chief Justice R K Agrawal and Justice M Sathyanarayanan, before which the petition came up, adjourned it by two weeks and directed the petitioner to implead the political parties as respondents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mild earthquake jolts Rajasthan, no damage reported
- Leander Paes, Sania Mirza advance at US Open
- Yakub Memon, Afzal Guru's executions were politically motivated: Justice AP Shah
- My mother is like Indrani Mukerjea, she likes having sex with many men: Delhi school boy
- Sheena Bora case: This is how Indrani Mukerjea got idea to plot a 'perfect murder'