PIL seeks removal of statues, installations hindering traffic
Madurai: A PIL was filed in the Madras HighCourt bench here on Tuesday, seeking a direction to remove all statues, religious installations and structures preventing free flow of traffic on roads, streets, lanes and bylanes in Tamil Nadu.
Petitioner C Ramesh, an advocate, also sought a direction to the state government to postpone removal of the statue of thespian late Shivaji Ganesan, installed at a busy road junction off Marina Beach at Chennai until removal of all the statues that hindered traffic.
The petitioner pointed out that the Principal Bench of Madras High Court had recently passed an order to remove Shivaji Ganesan`s statue as there were multiple road accidents occurring at the spot.
He said there are about 16,612 statues (both bustline and full statues) and 6,311 shrines and structures installed with or without permission all over Tamil Nadu on Highways, roads,streets and lanes, causing inconvenience to public.
Besides garlanding such installations was causing traffic congestion, he said.
Ramesh said earlier government removed names of all political, religious, communal and freedom fighters and other leaders from the nomenclature of districts and all state owned Transport Corporations, resulting in social peace and amity.
The state could perform a similar act in shortlisting and removing all statues and religious structures on highways, roads, streets and lanes throughout the state, he said.
He said he had submitted a representation to the state on January 23 and since there was no reply moved the court.
He prayed that the court direct the state to instruct all Collectors to enlist such installations, which affected free flow of traffic throughout the state and to appoint an adhoc committee headed by a Judicial Officer to monitor and advice revenue and Police Authorities to detect those statues or religious installations, which may fall under the removal category.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- A love story for Akshay Kumar in toilet? Details inside
- Wondering if Ranveer Singh is on board Deepika Padukone’s ‘Padmavati’? Details inside
- Saif Ali Khan finds Kareena Kapoor very sexy in 'Yeh Mera Dil' song
- Donald Trump demands special prosecutor to probe Hillary Clinton allegations
- Assam BJP leader's son kidnapped, ULFA releases ISIS-style video