PIL seeks removal of statues, installations hindering traffic
Madurai: A PIL was filed in the Madras HighCourt bench here on Tuesday, seeking a direction to remove all statues, religious installations and structures preventing free flow of traffic on roads, streets, lanes and bylanes in Tamil Nadu.
Petitioner C Ramesh, an advocate, also sought a direction to the state government to postpone removal of the statue of thespian late Shivaji Ganesan, installed at a busy road junction off Marina Beach at Chennai until removal of all the statues that hindered traffic.
The petitioner pointed out that the Principal Bench of Madras High Court had recently passed an order to remove Shivaji Ganesan`s statue as there were multiple road accidents occurring at the spot.
He said there are about 16,612 statues (both bustline and full statues) and 6,311 shrines and structures installed with or without permission all over Tamil Nadu on Highways, roads,streets and lanes, causing inconvenience to public.
Besides garlanding such installations was causing traffic congestion, he said.
Ramesh said earlier government removed names of all political, religious, communal and freedom fighters and other leaders from the nomenclature of districts and all state owned Transport Corporations, resulting in social peace and amity.
The state could perform a similar act in shortlisting and removing all statues and religious structures on highways, roads, streets and lanes throughout the state, he said.
He said he had submitted a representation to the state on January 23 and since there was no reply moved the court.
He prayed that the court direct the state to instruct all Collectors to enlist such installations, which affected free flow of traffic throughout the state and to appoint an adhoc committee headed by a Judicial Officer to monitor and advice revenue and Police Authorities to detect those statues or religious installations, which may fall under the removal category.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok