PIL seeks to prevent Jaya`s pictures on bunks, bus stands, buses
Chennai: A PIL has been filed in the Madras High Court seeking to prevent pictures of Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa and the AIADMK`s party symbol from being displayed on bunks erected on pavements, in bus stands and on classic buses.
The PIL filed by K R Ramaswamy alias `Traffic` Ramaswamy came up for hearing today before a Division Bench comprising Justices Satish K Agnihothri and M M Sundresh. The counsel for Chennai Corporation sought four weeks` time to file a counter.
Ramaswamy contended that Chennai Corporation had opened canteens by violating basic food safety rules in nearly 200 places and had named them `Amma Canteen` instead of `Chief Minister`s Canteen` in the city.
He also submitted that water bottles with Jayalalithaa`s photo and AIADMK`s party symbol were being supplied on buses and on platform bunks at Rs 10 per litre, as if she had spent the money from party funds or personal funds, which was not fair on the part of the government-controlled corporation.
He alleged that the corporation`s action was against the apex court`s directive in the case of Bahujan Samaj Party using `Elephant` symbol on public roads using government funds.
Ramaswamy also said there had been no response to his representations on the matter to the corporation and government on March 25 and June 29 and hence he had filed the petition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof