`Plans to dilute provisions of 13th Amendment unacceptable`
Chennai: The Centre on Thursday expressed its unhappiness over reported Sri Lankan plans to dilute key provisions of the 13th Amendment to its Constitution and termed the island nations`s move as "unacceptable".
Observing that Colombo was mulling changes to the India-backed 13th amendment (13A) to the Sri Lankan Constitution that would give Tamils equal rights in the Island Nation, Narayanasamy said, "This cannot be accepted and the agreement should be implemented without any changes".
The 13A and the provincial councils entered Sri Lanka`s statutes in 1987 as part of the India-Sri Lanka Peace Accord which envisaged devolution of powers to the island`s provinces in an effort to end the Sri Lankan Civil War involving the LTTE and government forces.
On rehabilitation of Tamils, he said that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had expressed dismay that financial assistance provided by New Delhi was not being properly distributed to the affected Tamils when a six-member delegation of the Tamil National Alliance from Sri Lanka recently called on him.
"The Indian government is firm on its stand that the financial assistance should be given to the affected people promptly", he told reporters here.
Referring to frequent arrests and attacks on Indian fishermen allegedly by Lankan Navy, he said the Indian government had already taken up the issue with the Mahinda Rajapaksa government. He also said the Centre was making all efforts towards the release of some Tamil Nadu fishermen arrested by the Lankan Navy.
Chief Minister Jayalalithaa had recently accused the Centre of not engaging the Lankan government in any dialogue to resolve the issue of attacks on fishermen from the state and maintaining a `stoic` and `apathetic` silence over it.
Referring to thousands of people being stranded in rain-ravaged Uttarakhand due to flash-floods, he said rescue efforts have been stepped up. Food packets have been given to people via aerial route using helicopters. Accommodation is also provided to the affected, he added.
On DMK and DMDK seeking the support of Congress for the June 27 Rajya Sabha elections from Tamil Nadu for their candidates, he said, "a decision will be taken by Congress president Sonia Gandhi at the right time".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org