Planting of bomb during Advani`s yatra: One more case filed
Madurai: A fresh case of attempt to murder was on Tuesday registered against Mohammed Haneefa, arrested in connection with planting of a pipe bomb allegedly targeting BJP leader LK Advani in Tamil Nadu in 2011.
Haneefa, allegedly involved in the making of the crude pipe bomb, was arrested yesterday by a team of Crime-Branch CID police, who raided his hideout on a tip-off, from Batlagundu in Dindigul district. One person who was staying with Haneefa managed to escape.
Police also seized explosive materials, including one kg of detonator powder, which were identical to the stuff used in the pipe bomb, from Haneefa.
Haneefa allegedly attempted to attack DSP Karthikeyan with deadly weapons when he along with other police officials reached the hideout to arrest him, police said.
However, Karthikeyan managed to save himself. In the meanwhile other policemen overpowered Haneefa and pinned him down before arresting him, police said.
Police registered an attempt to murder case against Haneefa.
Haneefa is among the three prime accused in the case and two others, including "Police" Fakruddin, were absconding.
Eight persons, including seven who allegedly provided help to the main accused including in procuring raw materials for making the bomb, were arrested so far.
The pipe bomb, planted under a bridge at Aalampatti near Tirumangalam, about 30 km from here, was found and defused hours before Advani`s `Jan Chetna Yatra` was to pass through the route on October 28, 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics