PM announces interim relief for TN, Puducherry
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh
today announced an interim relief of Rs 500 crore and Rs 125
crore for cyclone-affected areas of Tamil Nadu and Puducherry
"The interim relief based on the preliminary reports is
Rs 500 crore for Tamil Nadu and Rs 125 crore for Puducherry
which were affected by cyclone `Thane` in the last week of
December," a Prime Minister`s Office spokesman said here.
Cyclone `Thane` had hit the Tamil Nadu coast and the
neighbouring Union Territory of Puduchery on December 30
causing damage to life and property.
A Central government team is currently visiting the
affected areas and will submit its report on the basis of
which a final relief, as may be admissible, will be
sanctioned, he said.
The worst-affected district in the Tamil Nadu is
Cuddalore, which accounted for 39 of the 46 deaths in the
state due to the cyclone.
The Inter-Ministerial team deputed by the Centre had
yesterday met state officials to assess the damage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok