PM announces interim relief for TN, Puducherry
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh
today announced an interim relief of Rs 500 crore and Rs 125
crore for cyclone-affected areas of Tamil Nadu and Puducherry
"The interim relief based on the preliminary reports is
Rs 500 crore for Tamil Nadu and Rs 125 crore for Puducherry
which were affected by cyclone `Thane` in the last week of
December," a Prime Minister`s Office spokesman said here.
Cyclone `Thane` had hit the Tamil Nadu coast and the
neighbouring Union Territory of Puduchery on December 30
causing damage to life and property.
A Central government team is currently visiting the
affected areas and will submit its report on the basis of
which a final relief, as may be admissible, will be
sanctioned, he said.
The worst-affected district in the Tamil Nadu is
Cuddalore, which accounted for 39 of the 46 deaths in the
state due to the cyclone.
The Inter-Ministerial team deputed by the Centre had
yesterday met state officials to assess the damage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city