PM fails to resolve Cauvery water-sharing row
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s efforts to resolve the Cauvery water-sharing row between Tamil Nadu and Karnataka failed on Wednesday with both states refusing to accept the ruling and Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa declaring that the state would move the Supreme Court seeking justice.
After hearing both sides, Singh ruled that Karnataka release 9000 cusecs of water each day for 25 days from tomorrow to October 15 after the state refused to accept Tamil Nadu’s demand for 2 tmcft water for 24 days or 1 tmcft for 30 days.
"Karnataka was not agreeable to both these demands and said that it would not release even a drop of water to Tamil Nadu in these circumstances. The bare minimum water sought by Tamil Nadu was also not accepted," Jayalalithaa told reporters after the meeting.
She said Tamil Nadu was "totally disappointed" with the meeting and that the state has no option but to knock at the doors of the Supreme Court to seek justice and to save the standing samba crops.
"Since there was no consensus in the meeting, the Prime Minister as the chair awarded that 9000 cusecs of water be released to Tamil Nadu from September 30 to October 15. This also was not acceptable to Karnataka. I also registered my protest against this ruling," she said.
Jayalalithaa said Karnataka was "adamant" in its stand by maintaining from the beginning of the meeting that it would not release even a drop of water to Tamil Nadu.
She said Tamil Nadu was dependent on water from Karnataka to save crops in 15 lakh acres in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?