PM has respect for sentiments of Tamilians: Vasan
Namakkal: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh by deciding to skip the CHOGM in Sri Lanka has respected the sentiments of people of Tamil Nadu, Shipping Minister G K Vasan has said.
External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid has gone to Colombo as only the Centre can find a solution to the Tamils` problems and issue of attacks on Tamil Nadu fishermen, he told reporters here last night.
By not attending the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting, the Prime Minister has abided by the sentiments of Tamilians, he said.
Political parties in Tamil Nadu have been demanding that India boycott completely the CHOGM in view of alleged war crimes by Sri Lanka during the battle against LTTE in 2009.
The Tamil Nadu Assembly had on November 12 expressed "regret" over India`s participation in CHOGM, while DMK chief M Karunanidhi described Khurshid`s visit as "wrong", saying Tamil people`s sentiments should not be ignored in this matter.
About the demolition of the compound wall and removal of a park at the Mullivaaikal Memorial in Thanjavur, built in honour of Tamil `martyrs` in the civil war in Sri Lanka, Vasan said "it is nothing to do with the Congress, we do not have any involvement."
On the December 4 by-election to the Yercaud Assembly constituency, Vasan said the Congress High Command would clear its stand soon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation