PM will be apprised of issues relating to SL: Narayanasamy
Chennai: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will be apprised of the objections raised by political parties in Tamil Nadu to India`s plan to supply warships to Sri Lanka and his participation in the Commonwealth Head of Governments Meeting in Colombo, Union Minister V Narayanasamy said on Tuesday.
"Political parties from Tamil Nadu have opposed India`s plan to supply warships to Sri Lanka. DMK chief M Karunanidhi has opposed it. Congress (TNCC) has also spoken on the matter. I will bring them to the attention of the Prime Minister," he said.
DMK and other parties have opposed India`s plans to supply two warships to Sri Lanka, contending that such a move would in no way benefit Indian fishermen and sought withdrawal of the proposal.
Karunanidhi had said it would strengthen the arguments voiced by many that India was only helping the Lankan government and not the Tamils there or Indian fishermen.
"Parties have opposed the PM`s participation in the CHOGM (this November) in a united voice. I will take the issue to the Prime Minister. He will take a good decision," Narayanasamy said.
Ruling AIADMK-led by Chief Minister Jayalalithaa has demanded that India boycott the CHOGM meet,accusing the Lankan army of committing "war crimes and genocide" against the Tamils.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda