PM will take appropriate decision on CHOGM: Vasan
Coimbatore: A strong votary of India`s boycott of the ensuing Commonwealth Heads of Government Meetings (COHGM) in Colombo, Shipping minister and senior Congress leader G K Vasan on Wednesday said the Prime Minister would take an "appropriate" decision on the issue, considering the sentiments of Tamils.
"The Prime Minister will definitely take into consideration the sentiments of Tamils and take an appropriate decision at the right time," Vasan, who is against Singh attending the meet, told reporters here.
Political parties and various pro-Tamil outfits in the state are against India`s participation in the CHOGM.
The state Assembly had adopted a resolution demanding that India to boycott the meeting and also have Sri Lanka suspended from the 53-member grouping till Colombo ensured equal status for Tamils there.
Vasan said even yesterday 30 fishermen from Tamil Nadu had been arrested by Sri Lankan Navy and exuded confidence that taking into account all these facts, prime minister would take a decision.
When asked about the vandalising of Rajiv Gandhi`s statue in nearby Tirupur district by miscreants, he condemned it and said police should bring the `anti-socials` to the book and punish them.
Protection should be provided to the statues of leaders in the state, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details