PM will take appropriate decision on CHOGM: Vasan
Coimbatore: A strong votary of India`s boycott of the ensuing Commonwealth Heads of Government Meetings (COHGM) in Colombo, Shipping minister and senior Congress leader G K Vasan on Wednesday said the Prime Minister would take an "appropriate" decision on the issue, considering the sentiments of Tamils.
"The Prime Minister will definitely take into consideration the sentiments of Tamils and take an appropriate decision at the right time," Vasan, who is against Singh attending the meet, told reporters here.
Political parties and various pro-Tamil outfits in the state are against India`s participation in the CHOGM.
The state Assembly had adopted a resolution demanding that India to boycott the meeting and also have Sri Lanka suspended from the 53-member grouping till Colombo ensured equal status for Tamils there.
Vasan said even yesterday 30 fishermen from Tamil Nadu had been arrested by Sri Lankan Navy and exuded confidence that taking into account all these facts, prime minister would take a decision.
When asked about the vandalising of Rajiv Gandhi`s statue in nearby Tirupur district by miscreants, he condemned it and said police should bring the `anti-socials` to the book and punish them.
Protection should be provided to the statues of leaders in the state, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers