PMANE petitions Rahul Gandhi
Madurai: Knocking at the doors of Congress Vice-President Rahul Gandhi, anti-nuclear activists, opposing the Kudankulam Nulcear Power Project on Tuesday asked him to seek a moratorium on atomic energy plans and projects until next general elections and make them a poll issue in affected states.
In a letter to Gandhi, Co-ordinators of the People`s Movement Against Nuclear Energy including SP Udhayakumar and M Pushparayan said several "million" people in Tamil Nadu and Kerala had been waging a `non-violent` struggle, intensified since August 2011, against KNPP on safety concerns.
Police had registered more than 325 cases, including for alleged sedition, against 5,296 named and 2,21,483 unnamed accused at the Koodankulam police station alone, they said.
If Congress, heading the UPA Government, did not respect people’s power, democracy and peaceful struggles, and tried to mow down democratic dissent and commissioned KKNPP, that would be undermining people’s trust in democracy, human rights and the very idea of Republic of India, they said.
It would prompt the voters to shun Congress at least in Tamil Nadu and Kerala, they claimed.
The first of the two reactors of KNPP is slated to be commissioned this month.=
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Christian group claims that the world will be 'annihilated' today!