PMANE petitions Rahul Gandhi
Madurai: Knocking at the doors of Congress Vice-President Rahul Gandhi, anti-nuclear activists, opposing the Kudankulam Nulcear Power Project on Tuesday asked him to seek a moratorium on atomic energy plans and projects until next general elections and make them a poll issue in affected states.
In a letter to Gandhi, Co-ordinators of the People`s Movement Against Nuclear Energy including SP Udhayakumar and M Pushparayan said several "million" people in Tamil Nadu and Kerala had been waging a `non-violent` struggle, intensified since August 2011, against KNPP on safety concerns.
Police had registered more than 325 cases, including for alleged sedition, against 5,296 named and 2,21,483 unnamed accused at the Koodankulam police station alone, they said.
If Congress, heading the UPA Government, did not respect people’s power, democracy and peaceful struggles, and tried to mow down democratic dissent and commissioned KKNPP, that would be undermining people’s trust in democracy, human rights and the very idea of Republic of India, they said.
It would prompt the voters to shun Congress at least in Tamil Nadu and Kerala, they claimed.
The first of the two reactors of KNPP is slated to be commissioned this month.=
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leading in 50 seats, BJP in 32; big prestige battle for both parties
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Election Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena ahead in Mumbai and Thane, BJP gains lead in Pune, Nagpur, Solapur; NCP wins 4 seats in Ulhasnagar