PMANE petitions Rahul Gandhi
Madurai: Knocking at the doors of Congress Vice-President Rahul Gandhi, anti-nuclear activists, opposing the Kudankulam Nulcear Power Project on Tuesday asked him to seek a moratorium on atomic energy plans and projects until next general elections and make them a poll issue in affected states.
In a letter to Gandhi, Co-ordinators of the People`s Movement Against Nuclear Energy including SP Udhayakumar and M Pushparayan said several "million" people in Tamil Nadu and Kerala had been waging a `non-violent` struggle, intensified since August 2011, against KNPP on safety concerns.
Police had registered more than 325 cases, including for alleged sedition, against 5,296 named and 2,21,483 unnamed accused at the Koodankulam police station alone, they said.
If Congress, heading the UPA Government, did not respect people’s power, democracy and peaceful struggles, and tried to mow down democratic dissent and commissioned KKNPP, that would be undermining people’s trust in democracy, human rights and the very idea of Republic of India, they said.
It would prompt the voters to shun Congress at least in Tamil Nadu and Kerala, they claimed.
The first of the two reactors of KNPP is slated to be commissioned this month.=
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!