PMANE petitions Rahul Gandhi
Madurai: Knocking at the doors of Congress Vice-President Rahul Gandhi, anti-nuclear activists, opposing the Kudankulam Nulcear Power Project on Tuesday asked him to seek a moratorium on atomic energy plans and projects until next general elections and make them a poll issue in affected states.
In a letter to Gandhi, Co-ordinators of the People`s Movement Against Nuclear Energy including SP Udhayakumar and M Pushparayan said several "million" people in Tamil Nadu and Kerala had been waging a `non-violent` struggle, intensified since August 2011, against KNPP on safety concerns.
Police had registered more than 325 cases, including for alleged sedition, against 5,296 named and 2,21,483 unnamed accused at the Koodankulam police station alone, they said.
If Congress, heading the UPA Government, did not respect people’s power, democracy and peaceful struggles, and tried to mow down democratic dissent and commissioned KKNPP, that would be undermining people’s trust in democracy, human rights and the very idea of Republic of India, they said.
It would prompt the voters to shun Congress at least in Tamil Nadu and Kerala, they claimed.
The first of the two reactors of KNPP is slated to be commissioned this month.=
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country would not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- Can Lalu Prasad Yadav's elder son Tej be less in age than younger son Tejaswi?