PMANE petitions Rahul Gandhi
Madurai: Knocking at the doors of Congress Vice-President Rahul Gandhi, anti-nuclear activists, opposing the Kudankulam Nulcear Power Project on Tuesday asked him to seek a moratorium on atomic energy plans and projects until next general elections and make them a poll issue in affected states.
In a letter to Gandhi, Co-ordinators of the People`s Movement Against Nuclear Energy including SP Udhayakumar and M Pushparayan said several "million" people in Tamil Nadu and Kerala had been waging a `non-violent` struggle, intensified since August 2011, against KNPP on safety concerns.
Police had registered more than 325 cases, including for alleged sedition, against 5,296 named and 2,21,483 unnamed accused at the Koodankulam police station alone, they said.
If Congress, heading the UPA Government, did not respect people’s power, democracy and peaceful struggles, and tried to mow down democratic dissent and commissioned KKNPP, that would be undermining people’s trust in democracy, human rights and the very idea of Republic of India, they said.
It would prompt the voters to shun Congress at least in Tamil Nadu and Kerala, they claimed.
The first of the two reactors of KNPP is slated to be commissioned this month.=
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks