PMK flays Centre for dropping idea of linking rivers
Chennai: PMK founder S Ramadoss on Thursday slammed
the centre for dropping the idea of inter-linking of Himalayan
and peninsular rivers on the ground of expenditure and alleged
the move had more to do with Congress leader Rahul Gandhi`s
stand against the proposal than that of fund crunch.
"During his recent visit to Tamil Nadu, Rahul Gandhi had
said he was not in favour of the project. It is this stand
which has made the government drop the idea," he said in a
About two months ago, Rahul had criticised the project,
saying "it will be an environmental disaster". "It is a bad
idea," he had said in Chennai.
Ramadoss said experts have warned of severe water crisis
in the state after about 25 years and asserted that linking of
Himalayan and peninsular rivers alone will prevent such a
situation. "All our hopes are now dashed," he said.
On the Centre`s move to inter-link Himalayan and
peninsular rivers separately, Ramadoss wondered whether
Kerala, who he accused of denying water to Tamil Nadu, will be
on the board to inter-link the rivers.
Instead of promising separate inter-linking of rivers,
the centre should first announce all big rivers in the country
as "national assets" he said, adding that promises of such
separate inter-linking were only "misleading tactics".
The Centre had yesterday said that it had given up
erstwhile NDA government`s plans of inter-linking Himalayan
and peninsular rivers, citing huge expenditure of Rs 4.4 lakh
crore needed for the exercise.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Four minors gang-rape teenage girl in Mumbai, circulate video on WhatsApp
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview