PMK flays Centre for dropping idea of linking rivers
Chennai: PMK founder S Ramadoss on Thursday slammed
the centre for dropping the idea of inter-linking of Himalayan
and peninsular rivers on the ground of expenditure and alleged
the move had more to do with Congress leader Rahul Gandhi`s
stand against the proposal than that of fund crunch.
"During his recent visit to Tamil Nadu, Rahul Gandhi had
said he was not in favour of the project. It is this stand
which has made the government drop the idea," he said in a
About two months ago, Rahul had criticised the project,
saying "it will be an environmental disaster". "It is a bad
idea," he had said in Chennai.
Ramadoss said experts have warned of severe water crisis
in the state after about 25 years and asserted that linking of
Himalayan and peninsular rivers alone will prevent such a
situation. "All our hopes are now dashed," he said.
On the Centre`s move to inter-link Himalayan and
peninsular rivers separately, Ramadoss wondered whether
Kerala, who he accused of denying water to Tamil Nadu, will be
on the board to inter-link the rivers.
Instead of promising separate inter-linking of rivers,
the centre should first announce all big rivers in the country
as "national assets" he said, adding that promises of such
separate inter-linking were only "misleading tactics".
The Centre had yesterday said that it had given up
erstwhile NDA government`s plans of inter-linking Himalayan
and peninsular rivers, citing huge expenditure of Rs 4.4 lakh
crore needed for the exercise.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Nuke-armed Pakistan can 'target' Delhi in 5 minutes, claims AQ Khan
- Gorilla shot dead after child falls into enclosure at Cincinnati Zoo!
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature?
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature? - Part II
- Alan Pulido: Mexican footballer kidnapping sets off massive manhunt
- Italian actor Giorgio Albertazzi dies at 92
- Vanessa Paradis writes letter defending former partner Johnny Depp?
- Delhi: Africans thrash Ola cabbie for refusing to carry extra passengers
- New Horizons' best close-up of Pluto's surface – Watch!