PMK for cancelling death sentence of Rajiv killers
Chennai: PMK on Wednesday demanded that the new
Tamil Nadu Governor K Rosaiah`s first order be the
cancellation of the death sentence of three convicts in the
Rajiv Gandhi assassination case.
"The Chief Minister (Jayalalithaa) should pass a
resolution in the Cabinet and hand it over to the Governor. On
that basis, Rosaiah`s first order should be on the
cancellation of the death sentence awarded to the three
persons," PMK founder S Ramadoss said in a statement.
Reacting to Union Minister Salman Khurshid`s comments
that the state Assembly resolution urging the President to
reconsider the mercy petitions of Santhan, Perarivalan and
Murugan was not `binding on anybody`, he said, "Tamil Nadu
Assembly was not just a building, but a legalised body
representing the feelings of seven crore Tamils."
Khurshid`s comments amounted to "demeaning" the feelings
of Tamils, he added.
The Madras High Court yesterday stayed for eight weeks
the execution of the three convicts fixed for September 9.
Meanwhile, in Dharmapuri district, CPI(M) state secretary
G Ramakrishnan asked the Centre to consider "for further
action" on the resolution passed by the Tamil Nadu Assembly
urging the President to reconsider the mercy petitions of the
Thanking the Tamil Nadu government for adopting the
resolution in the state Assembly yesterday, Ramakrishnan
demanded that the resolution be considered by the Central
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- Man who tried to commit suicide outside Chhattisgarh CM's house dies
- Watch how you can keep your bookshelves neat and clean!
- Five health benefits of cashew nuts you didn't know about!
- Do you know how many ultra-high networth individuals India has? Make a guess
- Watch: When lightening struck iconic Empire State building in USA