PMK seeks CBI probe into Marakkanam violence
Chennai: Former Union Minister and PMK leader Anbumani Ramadoss Friday submitted a memorandum to Tamil Nadu Governor K Rosaiah, seeking a CBI and judicial probe into the violence at Marakkanam in Villupuram district on April 25.
A day after he was released on conditional bail, Anbumani requested the Governor to "stop" detention of PMK cadres under the Goondas and National Security Acts.
"We request you to stop this unmindful arrests happening in our state and direct the Chief Secretary, Home Secretary and DGP to immediately stop the false arrests," the memorandum said.
Anbumani was arrested on May 3 and lodged in Puzhal prison near here for offences, including unlawful assembly and rioting at a PMK function at Mamallapuram last year. Other cases were also pending against him but he secured conditional bail.
While Anbumani`s father, PMK founder S Ramadoss, who was arrested on April 30 at Villupuram for violating prohibitory orders, is in a Tiruchirapalli prison. Many PMK cadres have been detained under the Goondas Act and National Security Act.
The memorandum also sought a CBI and judicial enquiry into attacks on public property in parts of the state.
Violent incidents, including torching and stoning of government buses were reported from parts of the state last week following the arrest of Ramadoss and Anbumani in the wake of violence at Marakkanam in Villupuram district, allegedly targeting Dalits.
While PMK alleged that Dalit outfit Viduthalai Chiruthaigal Katchi was the reason behind the violence, Chief Minister Jayalalithaa virtually blamed PMK for it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...