PMK slams Karna for stopping release of water to TN
Chennai: PMK founder S Ramadoss on tuesday flayed Karnataka for stopping release of water to Tamil Nadu from the KRS reservoir and demanded that the Centre take over all dams constructed across the Cauvery river.
He also slammed the Tamil Nadu government for not involving opposition parties even as the neighbouring state government had convened all-party meeting thrice to discuss the matter.
In a statement here, he said Karnataka`s action of stopping release of water despite the ruling by both the Prime Minister Manmohan Singh (as head of Cauvery River Authority) and Supreme Court will go against the sovereignty of the country.
Calling for action against the upper riparian state for "insulting" the Supreme Court, he said Centre should take over all the dams constructed across the river.
"Centre should post military security for the dams and ensure water for Tamil Nadu," he demanded.
Hours after Singh made it clear only the CRA can review its order directing the state to release 9,000 cusecs to Tamil Nadu, Karnataka yesterday stopped release of water from the Krishna Raja Sagar dam citing depleted storage.
Water was being released from KRS and Kabini dams. Discharge from Kabini had been stopped two days ago.
The water stoppage came after Karnataka said it will file a review petition today before the CRA headed by Singh who made known his position to Congress and BJP delegations which met him separately seeking review of CRA`s September 19 directive.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- 'NSG applications of Pakistan, India should be considered together'
- Jung, Meena will be summoned over Sheila govt 'scams': Dy Speaker
- CBI files fresh chargesheet against two in Vyapam cases
- ED officer loses annual increments for harassing woman
- Finally! Ringing Bells ready with two lakh Freedom 251 phones: Mohit Goel