PMK slams Karna for stopping release of water to TN
Chennai: PMK founder S Ramadoss on tuesday flayed Karnataka for stopping release of water to Tamil Nadu from the KRS reservoir and demanded that the Centre take over all dams constructed across the Cauvery river.
He also slammed the Tamil Nadu government for not involving opposition parties even as the neighbouring state government had convened all-party meeting thrice to discuss the matter.
In a statement here, he said Karnataka`s action of stopping release of water despite the ruling by both the Prime Minister Manmohan Singh (as head of Cauvery River Authority) and Supreme Court will go against the sovereignty of the country.
Calling for action against the upper riparian state for "insulting" the Supreme Court, he said Centre should take over all the dams constructed across the river.
"Centre should post military security for the dams and ensure water for Tamil Nadu," he demanded.
Hours after Singh made it clear only the CRA can review its order directing the state to release 9,000 cusecs to Tamil Nadu, Karnataka yesterday stopped release of water from the Krishna Raja Sagar dam citing depleted storage.
Water was being released from KRS and Kabini dams. Discharge from Kabini had been stopped two days ago.
The water stoppage came after Karnataka said it will file a review petition today before the CRA headed by Singh who made known his position to Congress and BJP delegations which met him separately seeking review of CRA`s September 19 directive.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued