PMK wants DMK to join hands to fight oppressive acts of AIADMK
Chennai: Facing heat unleashed by AIADMK government against its cadres, PMK on Thursday signalled efforts to bring together other political parties including DMK to fight against what it called "oppressive" acts of the ruling regime.
PMK president G K Mani today urged DMK led by M Karunanidhi to join hands to fight against AIADMK government action in "muzzling" the voices of opposition parties.
The move by PMK also sent signals on the political scene of the state over revival of electoral ties between it and DMK during the upcoming Lok Sabha polls.
Mani, who shot off a letter to Karunanidhi also referred to his party founder S Ramadoss` statement to the press that "even autocratic countries across the world did not unleash oppression on the opposition parties and the media to this extent."
Observing that an "undeclared emergency situation" was prevalent in Tamil Nadu, Mani said that political parties favouring democracy should raise their voice against the "oppressive" regime.
PMK leaders and cadres, including party founder S Ramadoss, his son and former Union Minister Anbumani Ramadoss were arrested in connection with violence in the northern districts of the state in June and July, and were later released.
Party legislator J Guru, arrested in connection with the case, has been detained under the National Security Act for the third time, even after the Centre revoked his detention under NSA twice.
In the 2009 Lok Sabha polls, PMK contested seven seats along with the AIADMK-Left alliance. But it failed to win any seats then.
In 2011 Assembly polls, Ramadoss decided to join DMK but later snapped ties. Since then, Ramadoss has been criticising the Dravidian parties. PMK currently has three MLAs in the state assembly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened