PMK wants Kalpakkam N-plant to be shutdown
Chennai: After backing protests demanding
scrapping of the Koodankulam nuclear power project, Pattali
Makkal Katchi on Tuesday demanded shutting down of the Kalpakkam
nuclear plant, claiming it had witnessed accidents besides
affecting local people.
"We would be sending a medical team soon to examine the
effects on the local people. The government should come out
with a white paper on the plant and the related fears
expressed by local people," PMK chief S Ramadoss said.
He told reporters here he would lead the protests at
Kalpakkam, 50 km from here, while his party would conduct
awareness camps for local people.
"Impact of radiation on people must also be examined by an
independent team of medical professionals. Government should
make a policy announcement that no more nuclear plants or
reactors would come up at Kalpakkam or anywhere else in the
state," he said.
The Prototype Fast Breeder Reactor at Kalpakkam should not
be allowed to come into use and the plant should be completely
shut down by 2020, he said.
Ramadoss said most countries, including developed ones,
such as Germany had decided to phase out nuclear plants in the
To a question, he said former President APJ Abdul Kalam
should not have visited Koodankulam power plant at all. Kalam
had vouched for the safety of the plant.
He said Chief Minister Jayalalithaa will have to take a
stand due to the growing protests against Koodankulam power
project at some point of time.
Jayalalithaa had initially explained the safety parameters
in place but later put the onus of allaying fears of the
agitating locals on the Centre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof