PMK wants Kalpakkam N-plant to be shutdown
Chennai: After backing protests demanding
scrapping of the Koodankulam nuclear power project, Pattali
Makkal Katchi on Tuesday demanded shutting down of the Kalpakkam
nuclear plant, claiming it had witnessed accidents besides
affecting local people.
"We would be sending a medical team soon to examine the
effects on the local people. The government should come out
with a white paper on the plant and the related fears
expressed by local people," PMK chief S Ramadoss said.
He told reporters here he would lead the protests at
Kalpakkam, 50 km from here, while his party would conduct
awareness camps for local people.
"Impact of radiation on people must also be examined by an
independent team of medical professionals. Government should
make a policy announcement that no more nuclear plants or
reactors would come up at Kalpakkam or anywhere else in the
state," he said.
The Prototype Fast Breeder Reactor at Kalpakkam should not
be allowed to come into use and the plant should be completely
shut down by 2020, he said.
Ramadoss said most countries, including developed ones,
such as Germany had decided to phase out nuclear plants in the
To a question, he said former President APJ Abdul Kalam
should not have visited Koodankulam power plant at all. Kalam
had vouched for the safety of the plant.
He said Chief Minister Jayalalithaa will have to take a
stand due to the growing protests against Koodankulam power
project at some point of time.
Jayalalithaa had initially explained the safety parameters
in place but later put the onus of allaying fears of the
agitating locals on the Centre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming