Poacher held for killing elephant, tusks recovered
Erode (TN): A man wanted for more than five
months for allegedly shooting to death a tusker earlier this
year has been arrested and two tusks recovered from him,
Perumal, a resident of Kovilur area, was arrested during
a search operation yesterday. He was wanted in connection with
the death of a tusker on February 4 this year in Chinna
Uthukuli forest area in Anthiyur forest in the district,
Forest Department officials said.
Two tusks, each of length 905 cm and weighing more than
ten kilograms in total, were also recovered after his
confession, they said.
Perumal was produced before the Judicial Magistrate,
who remanded him to judicial custody for 15 days.
The tusker was shot dead by Perumal and its tusks
removed with an axe. Three persons were arrested in connection
with the incident on February 21 after special teams were
formed to nab the culprits. The gun used to shoot the elephant
and the axe used to remove the tusks were also recovered.
However, officials had deposed in court that Perumal was
absconding and the tusks were with him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Here comes a smarter search engine than Google!
- Wanted to make 'Sultan' only with Salman: Ali Abbas Zafar
- Watch: Behind-the-scenes 'Trip' of 'Udta Punjab' will make you more impatient for its release
- Separatist leaders in Kashmir join hands against colonies for Pandits
- Five reasons you should stop eating bread!