Police on the lookout for Alagiri’s son, 11 others
Tamil Nadu: Police have alerted immigration authorities to help them in preventing Durai Dayanidhi, Union Minister MK Alagiri’s son, and 11 others from leaving the country in connection with alleged illegal granite quarrying into which the State government has launched a crackdown.
“We have requested immigration department to detain them at airports and inform us if they are spotted. We understand some have already left India and some are trying to flee the country,” a top police official who did not wish to be named, said.
He said police have no authority to issue a lookout notice and can only make a request to immigration authorities.
Besides Mr Durai Dayanidhi, others named include Maharajan, Nagarajan, P Sureshkumar, P Senthilkumar, P K Selvaraj, Veeramani, Periyasamy and four others of different granite companies.
Police said a special team is searching for them and had already frozen the companies’ accounts.
They said a team of auditors was collecting the banking transactions of these companies. Auditors of the companies and some officials of Tamil Nadu Minerals are also being questioned, they said.
On August 7, cases were registered against 10 persons, including Durai Dayanidhi, charging companies owned by them with mining sand and granite without permission.
The action came close on the heels of a detailed survey of 175 granite quarrying sites by the district administration on a report by former District Collector U Sagayam, estimating loss to the state exchequer by illegal quarrying at Rs. 16,338 crore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’