Political parties in Tamil Nadu pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
Chennai: Tamil Nadu`s political parties including DMK, on Friday condoled the death of former South African President Nelson Mandela and paid tributes to his contributions to the anti-apartheid movement in that country.
DMK chief M Karunanidhi recalled that in the midst of a party conference in Tiruchirappalli in May 1990, he had announced with much joy Mandela`s release from a South African prison, asking his partymen to welcome that with a huge round of applause which, he said, took a long time to subside.
In an apparent reference to the late leader`s jail term covering nearly three decades, the DMK chief said that his life of sacrifice was a lesson not just to the youth of that country, but to all those persons inhabiting the globe.
"As long as freedom movements exist in this world, Nelson Mandela`s legacy will remain," he said in a party statement.
MDMK leader Vaiko also condoled the death of the peace icon, saying his demise had left the entire world grieving.
Mandela`s death had shocked the entire globe but his fame would continue to remain forever, Vaiko said in a statement.
DMDK founder and Opposition Leader in the state Assembly, Vijayakant and PMK founder Dr S Ramadoss also condoled Mandela`s death.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH