Political parties in Tamil Nadu pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
Chennai: Tamil Nadu`s political parties including DMK, on Friday condoled the death of former South African President Nelson Mandela and paid tributes to his contributions to the anti-apartheid movement in that country.
DMK chief M Karunanidhi recalled that in the midst of a party conference in Tiruchirappalli in May 1990, he had announced with much joy Mandela`s release from a South African prison, asking his partymen to welcome that with a huge round of applause which, he said, took a long time to subside.
In an apparent reference to the late leader`s jail term covering nearly three decades, the DMK chief said that his life of sacrifice was a lesson not just to the youth of that country, but to all those persons inhabiting the globe.
"As long as freedom movements exist in this world, Nelson Mandela`s legacy will remain," he said in a party statement.
MDMK leader Vaiko also condoled the death of the peace icon, saying his demise had left the entire world grieving.
Mandela`s death had shocked the entire globe but his fame would continue to remain forever, Vaiko said in a statement.
DMDK founder and Opposition Leader in the state Assembly, Vijayakant and PMK founder Dr S Ramadoss also condoled Mandela`s death.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27