Political parties in Tamil Nadu pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
Chennai: Tamil Nadu`s political parties, including DMK, on Saturday condoled the death of former South African president Nelson Mandela and paid tributes to his contributions to the anti-apartheid movement in that country.
DMK chief M Karunanidhi recalled that in the midst of a party conference in Tiruchirappalli in May 1990, he had announced with much joy Mandela`s release from a South African prison, asking his partymen to welcome that with a huge round of applause which, he said, took a long time to subside.
In an apparent reference to the late leader`s jail term covering nearly three decades, the DMK chief said that his life of sacrifice was a lesson not just to the youth of that country, but to all those persons inhabiting the globe.
"As long as freedom movements exist in this world, Nelson Mandela`s legacy will remain," he said in a party statement.
MDMK leader Vaiko also condoled the death of the peace icon, saying his demise had left the entire world grieving.
Mandela`s death had shocked the entire globe but his fame would continue to remain forever, Vaiko said in a statement.
DMDK founder and Opposition Leader in the state Assembly, Vijayakant and PMK founder Dr S Ramadoss also condoled Mandela`s death.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand