Poll code violation: DMK files counter affidavit
Chennai: DMK leader MK Stalin on Thursday filed a counter affidavit in the Madras High Court against the petition filed by AIADMK chief and Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa challenging Election Commission`s order to state government to cover pictures of two leaves on small buses as it resembled the ruling party`s symbol.
In his counter, Stalin said that his party has the right to oppose various issues like the pictures of two leaves on buses and at the entrance of MGR memorial besides the term "Amma" for government schemes.
Stalin referred to a letter by Chief Electoral Officer of Tamil Nadu dated February 27 last year to ECI in which it was stated that the word "Amma" meant Jayalalithaa.
The First Bench comprising Acting Chief Justice Sathish K Agnihothri and Justice M M Sunderesh directed the counsel for the ECI to submit details on which it decided to cover the paintings on the small buses.
Advocate General A L Somayaji, appearing for Government Transport Corporations, submitted that without any prior notice to them, the ECI decided to cover the paintings on small buses.
On the observation by the ECI that the paintings were advertisement for AIADMK, he submitted that it is nothing but casting aspersions on the government.
Counsel for ECI, G Rajagopalan submitted that if the paintings are not covered, some other political party will paint pictures of suns on government properties and claim that it is not the symbol of DMK as the party symbol is "rising sun".
He sought time till tomorrow to clarify on what basis the ECI had taken decision to cover up paintings of two leaves on small buses.
R Vidudalai, appearing on behalf of Stalin, submitted that once the Model Code of Conduct was in force, there was no need to give any notice before taking a decision and the AIADMK has no locus standi to question the decision taken by ECI.
The bench posted the case for further hearing to tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof