Poll code violation: DMK files counter affidavit
Chennai: DMK leader MK Stalin on Thursday filed a counter affidavit in the Madras High Court against the petition filed by AIADMK chief and Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa challenging Election Commission`s order to state government to cover pictures of two leaves on small buses as it resembled the ruling party`s symbol.
In his counter, Stalin said that his party has the right to oppose various issues like the pictures of two leaves on buses and at the entrance of MGR memorial besides the term "Amma" for government schemes.
Stalin referred to a letter by Chief Electoral Officer of Tamil Nadu dated February 27 last year to ECI in which it was stated that the word "Amma" meant Jayalalithaa.
The First Bench comprising Acting Chief Justice Sathish K Agnihothri and Justice M M Sunderesh directed the counsel for the ECI to submit details on which it decided to cover the paintings on the small buses.
Advocate General A L Somayaji, appearing for Government Transport Corporations, submitted that without any prior notice to them, the ECI decided to cover the paintings on small buses.
On the observation by the ECI that the paintings were advertisement for AIADMK, he submitted that it is nothing but casting aspersions on the government.
Counsel for ECI, G Rajagopalan submitted that if the paintings are not covered, some other political party will paint pictures of suns on government properties and claim that it is not the symbol of DMK as the party symbol is "rising sun".
He sought time till tomorrow to clarify on what basis the ECI had taken decision to cover up paintings of two leaves on small buses.
R Vidudalai, appearing on behalf of Stalin, submitted that once the Model Code of Conduct was in force, there was no need to give any notice before taking a decision and the AIADMK has no locus standi to question the decision taken by ECI.
The bench posted the case for further hearing to tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them