Poll official makes a u-turn, says not assaulted by Alagiri men
Madurai: Making a U-turn, an election official on whose complaint an assault case has been registered against Union Minister MK Alagiri, Monday claimed he was not roughed up by ruling party activists who accompanied the DMK strongman
during his controversial visit to a temple in the district on Friday.
In a fax message to the Election Commission, M Kalimuthu, Tahsildhar and Assistant Returning Officer for Melur Assembly segment, alleged only the local police dictated the complaint against Alagiri, son of Chief Minister M Karunanidhi, and others and what had happened in the temple was different.
Based on Kalimuthu`s complaint, police registered a case against Alagiri and 52 other DMK men for offences, including causing hurt to deter public servant from doing his duty and wrongful restraint.
Kalimuthu had alleged he and a videographer who recorded the visit of Alagiri to the temple in Keezhavalavu were roughed up in the presence of the Union Minister, considered the strongman of DMK in the southern districts and chief
architect of its successive wins in bypolls in the region in last five years.
The official had even repeated the charge on a private TV channel. Condemning the alleged attack, Revenue Officials Association had demanded protection to poll personnel.
Four main accused in the case, including Alagiri and Deputy Mayor of Madurai PM Manan, had obtained anticipatory bail from the Madras High Court Bench here.
Doing a volte-face in his communication today, a copy of which is available with media here, Kalimuthu said Algiri and those who accompanied him had only told him not to come inside the temple with footwear.
Stating that only Keezhavalavu Police said he was roughed up by the DMK men, the official said he had gone to the temple to see whether the Minister was offering any money and wanted to videograph the visit.
Alagiri left the place after asking him and the videographer not to come inside the temple with footwear and they were not roughed up, Kalimuthu said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY