Poll official makes a u-turn, says not assaulted by Alagiri men
Madurai: Making a U-turn, an election official on whose complaint an assault case has been registered against Union Minister MK Alagiri, Monday claimed he was not roughed up by ruling party activists who accompanied the DMK strongman
during his controversial visit to a temple in the district on Friday.
In a fax message to the Election Commission, M Kalimuthu, Tahsildhar and Assistant Returning Officer for Melur Assembly segment, alleged only the local police dictated the complaint against Alagiri, son of Chief Minister M Karunanidhi, and others and what had happened in the temple was different.
Based on Kalimuthu`s complaint, police registered a case against Alagiri and 52 other DMK men for offences, including causing hurt to deter public servant from doing his duty and wrongful restraint.
Kalimuthu had alleged he and a videographer who recorded the visit of Alagiri to the temple in Keezhavalavu were roughed up in the presence of the Union Minister, considered the strongman of DMK in the southern districts and chief
architect of its successive wins in bypolls in the region in last five years.
The official had even repeated the charge on a private TV channel. Condemning the alleged attack, Revenue Officials Association had demanded protection to poll personnel.
Four main accused in the case, including Alagiri and Deputy Mayor of Madurai PM Manan, had obtained anticipatory bail from the Madras High Court Bench here.
Doing a volte-face in his communication today, a copy of which is available with media here, Kalimuthu said Algiri and those who accompanied him had only told him not to come inside the temple with footwear.
Stating that only Keezhavalavu Police said he was roughed up by the DMK men, the official said he had gone to the temple to see whether the Minister was offering any money and wanted to videograph the visit.
Alagiri left the place after asking him and the videographer not to come inside the temple with footwear and they were not roughed up, Kalimuthu said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?