Poll official makes a u-turn, says not assaulted by Alagiri men
Madurai: Making a U-turn, an election official on whose complaint an assault case has been registered against Union Minister MK Alagiri, Monday claimed he was not roughed up by ruling party activists who accompanied the DMK strongman
during his controversial visit to a temple in the district on Friday.
In a fax message to the Election Commission, M Kalimuthu, Tahsildhar and Assistant Returning Officer for Melur Assembly segment, alleged only the local police dictated the complaint against Alagiri, son of Chief Minister M Karunanidhi, and others and what had happened in the temple was different.
Based on Kalimuthu`s complaint, police registered a case against Alagiri and 52 other DMK men for offences, including causing hurt to deter public servant from doing his duty and wrongful restraint.
Kalimuthu had alleged he and a videographer who recorded the visit of Alagiri to the temple in Keezhavalavu were roughed up in the presence of the Union Minister, considered the strongman of DMK in the southern districts and chief
architect of its successive wins in bypolls in the region in last five years.
The official had even repeated the charge on a private TV channel. Condemning the alleged attack, Revenue Officials Association had demanded protection to poll personnel.
Four main accused in the case, including Alagiri and Deputy Mayor of Madurai PM Manan, had obtained anticipatory bail from the Madras High Court Bench here.
Doing a volte-face in his communication today, a copy of which is available with media here, Kalimuthu said Algiri and those who accompanied him had only told him not to come inside the temple with footwear.
Stating that only Keezhavalavu Police said he was roughed up by the DMK men, the official said he had gone to the temple to see whether the Minister was offering any money and wanted to videograph the visit.
Alagiri left the place after asking him and the videographer not to come inside the temple with footwear and they were not roughed up, Kalimuthu said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now