Poll official makes a u-turn, says not assaulted by Alagiri men
Madurai: Making a U-turn, an election official on whose complaint an assault case has been registered against Union Minister MK Alagiri, Monday claimed he was not roughed up by ruling party activists who accompanied the DMK strongman
during his controversial visit to a temple in the district on Friday.
In a fax message to the Election Commission, M Kalimuthu, Tahsildhar and Assistant Returning Officer for Melur Assembly segment, alleged only the local police dictated the complaint against Alagiri, son of Chief Minister M Karunanidhi, and others and what had happened in the temple was different.
Based on Kalimuthu`s complaint, police registered a case against Alagiri and 52 other DMK men for offences, including causing hurt to deter public servant from doing his duty and wrongful restraint.
Kalimuthu had alleged he and a videographer who recorded the visit of Alagiri to the temple in Keezhavalavu were roughed up in the presence of the Union Minister, considered the strongman of DMK in the southern districts and chief
architect of its successive wins in bypolls in the region in last five years.
The official had even repeated the charge on a private TV channel. Condemning the alleged attack, Revenue Officials Association had demanded protection to poll personnel.
Four main accused in the case, including Alagiri and Deputy Mayor of Madurai PM Manan, had obtained anticipatory bail from the Madras High Court Bench here.
Doing a volte-face in his communication today, a copy of which is available with media here, Kalimuthu said Algiri and those who accompanied him had only told him not to come inside the temple with footwear.
Stating that only Keezhavalavu Police said he was roughed up by the DMK men, the official said he had gone to the temple to see whether the Minister was offering any money and wanted to videograph the visit.
Alagiri left the place after asking him and the videographer not to come inside the temple with footwear and they were not roughed up, Kalimuthu said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'