Polling in TN peaceful, EVMs shifted to counting centres: DGP
Chennai: Barring stray incidents, polling
for all 234 Assembly constituencies in Tamil Nadu today passed
off peacefully and EVMs have been shifted to counting centres,
a top police official said here on Wednesday.
"No political clashes or violence were reported from any
part of the state," DGP Bholo Nath told reporters here.
Police had to use mild force at Salem to disperse some
agitators, he said, adding that the state police and central
paramilitary forces worked jointly to do a "good job".
At the end of polling EVMS were shifted safely to the 91
counting centres and kept in tight security, he said.
Of the 240 companies of central forces, 17 will be
retained and the rest return. The retained personnel will be
deputed for security at counting centres, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends