Pongal celebrated in Tamil Nadu
Chennai: The harvest festival of Pongal was
celebrated in Tamil Nadu on Saturday in a subtle way, as the
Sabarimala tragedy, which claimed the lives of 100 pilgrims,
cast its shadow on the celebrations.
A substantial chunk of the victims who died in the
stampede hailed from Tamil Nadu, especially the southern
However, in Chennai and other parts of the state, the
festival, coinciding with the Tamil New Year, was celebrated
with usual fervour as people welcomed the auspicious month --
Colourful `kolams` (rangoli) decorated many homes and the
Pongal, the local sweet delicacy, was cooked in the households
to mark the new day.
Governor S S Barnala, Chief Minister M Karunanidhi,
AIADMK chief Jayalalithaa and various other political leaders
greeted the people on the occasion.
New Tamil films were released today and TV channels aired
At least 104 Sabarimala devotees were killed and over 40
injured in a stampede when a jeep crashed into homebound
pilgrims at Pulmedu in Kerala`s Idukki district, in the worst
tragedy to strike the worshippers of the famed shrine in a
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- 'Kaabil' an opportunity to establish myself commercially: Yami Gautam
- Pokemon Go mania causes international incident on US border
- What makes an online dater successful!
- Donald Trump asked to stop talking about Benghazi victims
- Under construction building collapses in Hyderabad, several labourers trapped