Pongal celebrated in Tamil Nadu
Chennai: People across Tamil Nadu got up early, put on new clothes and went to temples on the harvest festival of Pongal on Sunday thanking rain, sun and farm animals. The aroma of ghee fried cashews, almonds and cardamom filled homes as a traditional dish of rice, jaggery and Bengal gram was made.
As the ingredients of Chakarai Pongal boil in milk, people called out `Pongolo Pongal, Pongolo Pongal`. The mud pot or stainless steel in which the dish is cooked is decorated by tying up ginger, turmeric, sugarcane piece and banana at the neck.
The Pongal dish is offered to the sun god as thanksgiving and eaten as `prasad`. It is made at the auspicious time and in some homes conches are blown prior to the formal offering.
People exchanged greetings and Chakarai Pongal with their neighbours.
The Pongal festivities take place over four days, the first day being Bhogi, which was on Saturday, when people burn their old clothes, mats and other items. Homes are painted afresh.
The second day is the main Pongal festival celebrated on the first day of the Tamil month Thai.
The third day is the Mattu Pongal when bulls and cows are bathed and their horns painted and worshipped as they play an important role in farms. Women feed the birds with coloured rice and pray for the welfare of their brothers.
In some parts of the state, jallikattu - a bull-taming sport - is held.
The fourth day is the Kannum Pongal - the day to go out and meet relatives and friends, and go site seeing.
"It is a great feeling to celebrate Pongal in Chennai after a gap of seven years. I had gone abroad in 2005. Of all the festivals, Pongal is the only Tamil festival," V.G. Gopinath employed in a private company said.
"We got up early and finished the prayers at 9 am," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday