Pongal celebrated in Tamil Nadu
Chennai: People across Tamil Nadu got up early, put on new clothes and went to temples on the harvest festival of Pongal on Sunday thanking rain, sun and farm animals. The aroma of ghee fried cashews, almonds and cardamom filled homes as a traditional dish of rice, jaggery and Bengal gram was made.
As the ingredients of Chakarai Pongal boil in milk, people called out `Pongolo Pongal, Pongolo Pongal`. The mud pot or stainless steel in which the dish is cooked is decorated by tying up ginger, turmeric, sugarcane piece and banana at the neck.
The Pongal dish is offered to the sun god as thanksgiving and eaten as `prasad`. It is made at the auspicious time and in some homes conches are blown prior to the formal offering.
People exchanged greetings and Chakarai Pongal with their neighbours.
The Pongal festivities take place over four days, the first day being Bhogi, which was on Saturday, when people burn their old clothes, mats and other items. Homes are painted afresh.
The second day is the main Pongal festival celebrated on the first day of the Tamil month Thai.
The third day is the Mattu Pongal when bulls and cows are bathed and their horns painted and worshipped as they play an important role in farms. Women feed the birds with coloured rice and pray for the welfare of their brothers.
In some parts of the state, jallikattu - a bull-taming sport - is held.
The fourth day is the Kannum Pongal - the day to go out and meet relatives and friends, and go site seeing.
"It is a great feeling to celebrate Pongal in Chennai after a gap of seven years. I had gone abroad in 2005. Of all the festivals, Pongal is the only Tamil festival," V.G. Gopinath employed in a private company said.
"We got up early and finished the prayers at 9 am," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown