Pongal celebrated with traditional fervour
Chennai: The Tamil harvest festival Pongal was celebrated with traditional fervour Thursday.
The four-day Hindu festival thanking rain, sun and farm animals is a mini Diwali in Tamil Nadu - minus the crackers.
People across the state got up early in the morning, put on new clothes, and went to temples, where special prayers were held.
The aroma of ghee and fried cashew wafted through the homes as people cooked the traditional dishes. The main dish - Chakarai Pongal - is made with rice, jaggery and Bengal gram, all boiled in milk.
People called out aloud `Pongolo Pongal, Pongolo Pongal` when raw rice and Bengal gram was added to the milk that was about to boil over.
The increase in price of jaggery, ghee and pulses in the recent times did not deter the people from cooking Chakarai Pongal.
However, homemaker Revathi Vasan said: "The prices of fruits and flowers have shot up to the sky. As a result we buy fruits in small quantities mainly to offer to the God."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video