Post-mortem reveals man-eater to be 5-year-old tiger
Udhagamandalam: An autopsy on the man-eater carnivore, which was shot dead, has revealed it to could be a five-year-old male tiger, a top forest official said on Thursday.
There was some contradiction about the gender of the animal, which killed three persons during the last fortnight, with some officials claiming it to be a tigress immediately after its death, while others said it was a tiger.
However, talking to reporters here, after the post-mortem of the carnivore, VT Kandasamy, Conservator of Forests, Coimbatore Circle, said it was in fact a tiger which had migrated from Mudumalai after a territorial fight with other tigers.
He said the lower jaw of the tiger was found broken and that was the reason it had engaged soft targets like human-beings and cows for food. Images captured by the camera immediately after it killed a woman and the tiger was similar, confirming this to be the man-eater on the prowl, he said.
Refusing to reveal the number of bullets that caused the death, he said the body parts and post-mortem reports have been sent to the office of National Tiger Authority.
While Special Task Force, who shot dead the tiger last night, claimed that 32 rounds were fired and 10 to 12 bullets might have hit it, some forest officials said only four bullets could have killed the animal.
The carcass was later burnt near a deer park near here.
Meanwhile, some villagers today complained that they noticed the movement of a wild animal at Parlahatti village, some five kms from Kappachi where the tiger was shot dead.
It could either be a leopard or tiger, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail