Posters seek revival of Tamil Maanila Congress
Chennai: In an embarrassment to Congress, facing the heat over the Sri Lankan Tamils issue, posters on Friday appeared in some parts of the city demanding revival of late GK Moopanar floated Tamil Maanila Congress (TMC) to uphold Tamils` respect.
The poster, carrying the pictures of late K Kamaraj, Moopanar and his son and Union Minister GK Vasan, asked Vasan to take the lead in upholding the Tamils` respect, apparently in the wake of Congress coming under strident attack over Sri Lankan Tamils issue.
In swift action, TNCC president BS Gnanadesikan suspended party activist S Srikanth, who reportedly brought out the posters, for `indiscipline` and issued a showcause notice asking him why he should not be expelled from Congress.
Srikanth`s action drew sharp reactions from Vasan himself, who described it as unacceptable and strongly condemned it. Such efforts were aimed at weakening and isolating Congress, he told reporters here.
Moopanar, considered a powerful AICC leader, floated TMC in 1996 opposing Congress` alliance with Jayalalithaa-led AIADMK despite strong views against it among partymen and backed DMK, which went onto capture power with a strong majority.
Stunning many political observers, Moopanar aligned with Jayalalithaa in 2001 and after his death the same year, Vasan took over as TMC president.
However, the party was merged with Congress in 2002.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore