Power generation at Kudankulam to resume after preparatory work
Chennai: Power generation in the first unit of Kudankulam Nuclear Power Plant, which was shut down after running for a couple of hours on Tuesday, would resume soon after completion of preparatory work and certain mandatory procedures, a senior official of KNPP said here on Thursday.
"Preparatory works are now on. We are following procedures. The reactor continues to be operational. However, there are also certain mandatory procedures to be done after which power generation will resume soon," KNPP Site Director R S Sundar told.
The first unit, which was synchronised on October 22 with the southern power grid, produced 165 MW power in two hours before it was shut down.
KNPP had said power would be increased gradually towards the 1000 MW benchmark by December this year once the unit attains operational stability.
Unit 1 had attained criticality on July 13, this year after much delay following protests against the project by anti-nuclear activists in areas around the complex, citing safety reasons.
Nuclear Power Corporation of India Ltd is constructing two 1,000 MW units at KNPP jointly with Russia at Kudankulam in Tiruneveli district, some 650 km from here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video