Power generation at Kudankulam to resume after preparatory work
Chennai: Power generation in the first unit of Kudankulam Nuclear Power Plant, which was shut down after running for a couple of hours on Tuesday, would resume soon after completion of preparatory work and certain mandatory procedures, a senior official of KNPP said here on Thursday.
"Preparatory works are now on. We are following procedures. The reactor continues to be operational. However, there are also certain mandatory procedures to be done after which power generation will resume soon," KNPP Site Director R S Sundar told.
The first unit, which was synchronised on October 22 with the southern power grid, produced 165 MW power in two hours before it was shut down.
KNPP had said power would be increased gradually towards the 1000 MW benchmark by December this year once the unit attains operational stability.
Unit 1 had attained criticality on July 13, this year after much delay following protests against the project by anti-nuclear activists in areas around the complex, citing safety reasons.
Nuclear Power Corporation of India Ltd is constructing two 1,000 MW units at KNPP jointly with Russia at Kudankulam in Tiruneveli district, some 650 km from here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack