Pranab’s victory foregone conclusion: Narayanasamy
Chennai: With some constituents of BJP-led NDA supporting the candidature of UPA`s Presidential nominee Pranab Mukerjee, his victory was a `foregone conclusion,` Minister of State in the PMO, V Narayanasamy said on Saturday.
"It is a forgone conclusion and apart from UPA, many political parties are supporting him. Sangma is also in the race but Mukherjee will win by an overwhelming majority," he told reporters here.
He recalled that BJP allies Shiv Sena and JD(U) had already announced backing the Union Finance Minister and described Mukherjee as a "seasoned politician with impeccable integrity who is respected by all."
To a question on Team Anna levelling corruption charges against the President aspirant, he said the allegations have been properly responded to by him from the PMO.
As Finance Minister, Mukherjee had carried out economic reforms well during difficult times, Narayanasamy said.
To a question on Indian fishermen hailing from Tamil Nadu allegedly being attacked by Sri Lankan navy, he said there was proof that such attacks occurred or Indian fishermen were fired at, but denied any such treatment being meted out to Sri Lankan fishermen while crossing into Indian waters.
While holding that friendly relations continued with Colombo, he however said it was India`s duty to safeguard the interests of both Sri Lankan Tamils and Indian fishermen.
He denied Colombo was "ignoring" India (and preferring China for its projects) and said New Delhi-sponsored schemes on the housing and power fronts, among others, are underway for Tamils in the island nation.
He condemned the recent controversial remarks by Sri Lankan Minister Champika Ranawaka that one Mullivaikal (where Tamil civilians were reportedly killed in large numbers in the war against LTTE) was enough and that no one should try to get a hundred more.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!