Pratibha Cauvery case: Two officials of local agent arrested
Chennai: Two officials working with the local agent of oil tanker Pratibha Cauvery, which ran aground here last month, were arrested on Tuesday, police said.
Sea World Shipping and Logistics Zonal Manager K Jayaraman and Operational Assistant Chitty Babu were arrested for allegedly not taking any steps when Carl Fernandes, captain of the Pratibha Cauvery, requested them to provide fuel to his ship, a police release said.
The duo were produced before Saidapet Court today which remanded them to judicial custody.
The ship which was in the waters off Chennai Port Trust was asked to be at the Outer Anchorage as cyclone Nilam was expected to cross the Chennai coast on October 31.
"Due to lack of fuel, the ship`s captain had approached the agent to supply it, which was denied," the release said.
By this, the agent did not take any steps to safeguard the lives of the 37 sailors of the ship, out of which six died later.
The ship ran aground near the shores of the Marina hours before cyclone `Nilam` crossed the Chennai coast.
A case had been filed against the agent at the Shastri Nagar Police Station here, it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery