`Pro-Rajapaksa stand reason for ill-treatment of T
Coimbatore: The CPI on Sunday said the Centre`s
pro-Rajapaksa stand was the main reason for Sri Lanka`s
"continued ill-treatment" of Tamils in that country.
"Instead of standing behind the Tamils and making efforts
to find a lasting solution, the government, for reasons best
known to it, continue to support Sri Lanka President Mahinda
Rajapaksa," CPI national secretary D Raja told a press
He said there was a need to find a political solution to
the problem of Lankan Tamils.
"Tamils there do not want sympathy or money from the
government for their rehabilitation, but to establish their
right to live with dignity as a citizen," Raja said.
The Left leader alleged fishermen from Tamil Nadu were
continuously being attacked by Sri Lankan Naval force and UPA
government was still remaining as "mute spectator".
He claimed the state government had taken a conflicting
stand in connection with commuting the death sentence of three
convicts in Rajiv Gandhi assassination case.
Though ruling AIADMK was a party to the unanimous
resolution passed in the Tamil Nadu Assembly to reconsider the
mercy petitions, it supported the death sentence in the High
Court, he said.
"The Chief Minister should reply to this," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India