Pro-Telangana leaders’ arrest: AP govt under fire
Karimnagar (AP): Condemning arrest of MPs
and public representatives in connection with the `rail roko`
protests, senior Congress leader Keshava Rao on Sunday said the
Andhra Pradesh Government cannot "suppress" the Telangana
Referring to the arrests of MPs Ponnam Prabhakar among
others, Rao told reporters in front of the District Jail that
the government may create hurdles in separate statehood
movement but can not suppress it.
"If the government intends to create hurdles in the
movement, it will turn into a revolution," he said.
"It is shameful to the party (Congress) to put its own
partymen in jail," Rao said.
"Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy is trying to
dilute the Telangana agitation and if he does so, it will turn
into a revolution," he said.
Meanwhile, Congress leader Komatireddy Venkat Reddy
has expressed his willingness to quit the party over Telangana
issue if Congress fails to respond.
"Chief Minister is terrorising Telangana agitators by
registering non-bailable offences against them," he alleged.
MPs Gutha Sukhender Reddy, Gudisela Vivek and Mandha
Jagannatham also accompanied Rao demanding the state
government to withdraw the cases against the agitators.
After a major showdown yesterday, many separate state
votaries, including Congress MPs Ponnam Prabahakar and S
Rajaiah, were arrested and sent to jail.
Telangana Rashtra Samiti (TRS) MLA Harish Rao was also
sent to jail for two weeks. Cases under the Railway Protection
Act and under section 151 (knowingly joining or continuing in
assembly of five or more persons after it has been commanded
to disperse) and section 353 (assault or criminal force to
deter public servant from discharge of his duty) of IPC were
also booked against hundreds of protesters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves